Thursday, November 15, 2012

Teaching Channel

Today in class we were introduced to the website called Teaching Channel.  This website is a coming together of teaching related videos not wholly unlike Ted ed.  This website is split in two main parts.  There is the core section and then the specialty topics.  The common core section focuses on teaching as a whole.


This is the main screen of navigation.
The first video I watched was called Discovering the Properties of Quadrilaterals.  It focused on a class of high school students discovering what quadrilaterals were for the first time.  Not only did it reveal a very well put together lesson plan it also revealed a way to make math hands on!  The second video I watched in the common core section is called Grant Writing: Blending Literature and Community.  This video shows how to blend a practical life experience(grant writing) into a bland old English class.  My personal favorite video that I watched in the common core was the video called Do Now.  The idea presented in this video is for a small beginning of the class assignment that reviews homework or previous class work as well as introduce the current days topics.  This idea excites me because I can use this to review my flipped classroom assignment from the night before.  I also explored two topics in my own major.  The first series of movies that I watched were Called Reading Like a Historian.  These were a series(or uncut like the link I posted) of films that taught you how to teach children the way to learn about history in the same way that historians learn about history.  The second series that I watched is called Inquiry Based Teaching.  This series focuses on teaching to the students needs as in teaching about questions they have.

Congrats you earned it.
Overall I found this website exciting!  It really emphasizes being the best teacher that I can be.  It gathers resources and ideas that I could spend a lifetime researching.  Two thumbs up from this guy!

No comments:

Post a Comment